Please help me with HASH results being wrong!

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Nov 21 00:07:08 UTC 2009

Hi Lee,

Lee Clark wrote:
> I down loaded Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso and then downloaded both of
> the windows Hash programs I ran them both and found this for the
> SHA1 results.  Seeing it was not the same as below from your web
> site I down loaded the file again changing the name to.
> Fedora-12-i686-Live_(2).iso

The hash algorithm used for the Fedora 12 *-CHECKSUM files is SHA-256,
not SHA-1.  You will need to use a program that can calculate a
SHA-256 checksum.

(The Hash: SHA1 line is part of the PGP signature.  It has no relation
to the sha256 checksum data in the *-CHECKSUM files.
https://fedoraproject.org/verify has details on how to verify
downloads and does point out that sha256sum is what should be used.)

We are currently working on a build of sha256sum for Windows which we
can provide for users on Windows.  In the interim, you may be able to
use the sha256sum.exe program linked at:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-burning-isos/en-US-draft.html#sect-Burning_ISO_images_to_disc-Validating_the_Files

Note that since we don't provide that binary, we cannot vouch for its
authenticity.

Philosophy:  A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.
    -- Ambrose Bierce