Fedoracommunity.org index page

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:37:41 UTC 2009

#2 - the portal project using the Moksha framework for roughtly
 real-time, interactive collaboration between contributors; right now
 it serves mainly packagers but the plan is to drastically increase
 its coverage beyond that group

#3 - a domain used to provide subdomains for local communities at
 which localized (translated) original content, forums, etc. are
 provided and maintained outside the Fedora Project; offers both
 appeal from the perspective of native language, and the ability to
 discuss and provide solutions outside Fedora's mission and scope

> 1. For each of the websites being discussed, what were the historical
> reasons for choosing that name? (Pointers to wiki pages, list archives,
> or IRC logs would be great.)

[[Local_community_domains]] is probably the most important from the
perspective of the fedoracommunity.org domain (#3).

> 2. For each of the websites being discussed , what would the cost of
> renaming it be? (What effort would we have to go through, and how many
> people would be affected, in what way?)

If #3 is only being used by two groups thus far, and if neither has
spent considerable money producing literature or publicity, renaming
that one is probably the better option.

If we really want to know "how did this happen?", my feeling is that
I'm the person at fault here.  I recall being not bowled over by the
naming of the portal project (#2) to Fedora Community, but I couldn't
think of why, and I simply failed to put 2 and 2 together with the
fedoracommunity.org domain name.  I would say that there wasn't enough
interplay between the FAB list and Infrastructure, where #3 was
discussed and implemented, and Marketing/Moksha, where #2 was going
through that process.  And putting those pieces together really is an
FPL responsibility.  We have the Logistics list now to coordinate such
things, but didn't back in the winter when #3 was happening (and
probably #2 too).

Having said that, I'd propose that we get in touch with the groups
using the fedoracommunity.org domain (#3) to find out to what extent a
renaming would hamper their community efforts.  I'd like to do that
with a Cc: of an appropriate list -- Marketing?  Websites?  Logistics?
Other?