Fedoracommunity.org index page

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Sep 10 14:53:36 UTC 2009

On 09/10/2009 09:49 AM, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Mel Chua wrote:
>
>> 2. https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/, a site that helps keep
>> track of who is packaging what, and what state those packages are in.
>
> Whether on purpose or simply because there is a need to differentiate,
> most people refer to this as the Fedora Community Portal, at least that
> I've seen.
>
> Maybe it should have its own domain name, as opposed to what is
> currently a pretty convoluted domain name for what is a really awesome
> webapp?

Yeh, I've heard a lot from folks who want to use the app and can never
figure out how to get to it. "Fedora Community" is really hard to find
in a search, too, as Mel pointed out. Really hard.

In IRC yesterday I did some brainstorming with other Red Hatters on a
replacement name for Fedora Community (the app), we came up with the
following list of possibilities:

boardwalk
square
plaza
zocalo

One of these would probably be more searchable and could lead to a
better domain name for the app. The community sites such as
ph.fedoracommunity.org would make better use of the name because for
that you'd search for 'phillipines fedora' not 'fedora community' so
it'd be easy to find, and the domain name there is more about
association with the commnunity than naming & findability.

I apologize for getting a little overly upset about the work that was
put into marketing / branding Fedora Community the app. I think now if
something has to be renamed it's a good opportunity to rename the app
since we've already heard from users it's hard to find because of its name.

~m