Fedoracommunity.org index page

Heherson Pagcaliwagan herson at azneita.org
Thu Sep 10 19:15:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Needless, to say, this is confusing, particularly in the case of the two
> > websites. What should we do? Should one or both of the websites be
> > renamed/rebranded? If so, which one(s), and what to? How can we adjust?
> >
> > Some solutions proposed on the list so far:

> idea
> maintainers
> >
> >> developers.fedoracommunity.org ?
> >> makeit.fedoracommunity.org?
> >> I think it would be a branch from the overall fedora community.
> >
> > My thoughts at this point are mainly questions - some of which have
> > partially been answered in the discussion above.
> >
> > 0. What is the purpose of each website being discussed? (#2,
> > admin.fedoraproject.org/community and #3, fedoracommunity.org)
>
> #2 - the portal project using the Moksha framework for roughtly
>  real-time, interactive collaboration between contributors; right now
>  it serves mainly packagers but the plan is to drastically increase
>  its coverage beyond that group
>
> #3 - a domain used to provide subdomains for local communities at
>  which localized (translated) original content, forums, etc. are
>  provided and maintained outside the Fedora Project; offers both
>  appeal from the perspective of native language, and the ability to
>  discuss and provide solutions outside Fedora's mission and scope
>
> > 1. For each of the websites being discussed, what were the historical
> > reasons for choosing that name? (Pointers to wiki pages, list archives,
> > or IRC logs would be great.)
>
> [[Local_community_domains]] is probably the most important from the
> perspective of the fedoracommunity.org domain (#3).
>
> > 2. For each of the websites being discussed , what would the cost of
> > renaming it be? (What effort would we have to go through, and how many
> > people would be affected, in what way?)
>
> If #3 is only being used by two groups thus far, and if neither has
> spent considerable money producing literature or publicity, renaming
> that one is probably the better option.
>
> If we really want to know "how did this happen?", my feeling is that
> I'm the person at fault here.  I recall being not bowled over by the
> naming of the portal project (#2) to Fedora Community, but I couldn't
> think of why, and I simply failed to put 2 and 2 together with the
> fedoracommunity.org domain name.  I would say that there wasn't enough
> interplay between the FAB list and Infrastructure, where #3 was
> discussed and implemented, and Marketing/Moksha, where #2 was going
> through that process.  And putting those pieces together really is an
> FPL responsibility.  We have the Logistics list now to coordinate such
> things, but didn't back in the winter when #3 was happening (and
> probably #2 too).
>
> Having said that, I'd propose that we get in touch with the groups
> using the fedoracommunity.org domain (#3) to find out to what extent a
> renaming would hamper their community efforts.  I'd like to do that
> with a Cc: of an appropriate list -- Marketing?  Websites?  Logistics?

I believe all of the other Filipino Fedora Ambassadors will agree on me on
this - we're agreeable to anything the Board deems fit for our local
community domain. This is basically just echoing what Engels posted to the
Board's list a while back [1].

[1]
http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/256150-community-domain-request.html

> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>  irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
>
> --

Heherson Pagcaliwagan