[Fedora-xen] Network problem during FC5 XEN Guest install (more on this...)

Raul Saura raul.saura at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 23:08:11 UTC 2006

Sorry guys, but I'm back with this...

I've noticed that once the xen-guest is running a new ethenet interface is
waked UP and it's binded to the internal switch:

[root at localhost ~]# brctl show
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif1.0

You can even see the MAC of the virtual interface of the guest:

[root at localhost ~]# brctl showmacs xenbr0
port no mac addr                is local?       ageing timer
  1     00:16:3e:71:08:b4       no                 6.22
  1     fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff       yes                0.00

But this setup is missing a second interface to bridge with, isn't it?
In fact DHCP request are not being honored with this setup so I've tried to
manually add the physical ethernet interface of xen0:

[root at localhost ~]# brctl addif xenbr0 eth0

Having done so, the bridge can actually see both segments, now

[root at localhost ~]# brctl showmacs xenbr0
port no mac addr                is local?       ageing timer
  2     00:0e:a6:ce:7c:0e       yes                0.00
  2     00:10:db:4d:ab:02       no                 0.63
  1     00:16:3e:71:08:b4       no                42.57
  1     fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff       yes                0.00

And even ports number make sense:

[root at localhost ~]# brctl showstp xenbr0
xenbr0
 bridge id              8000.000ea6ce7c0e
 designated root        8000.000ea6ce7c0e
 root port                 0                    path cost                  0
 max age                  20.00                 bridge max age
20.00
 hello time                2.00                 bridge hello time
2.00
 forward delay             0.00                 bridge forward delay
0.00
 ageing time             300.01
 hello timer               1.72                 tcn timer
0.00
 topology change timer     4.02                 gc timer
0.06
 flags                  TOPOLOGY_CHANGE TOPOLOGY_CHANGE_DETECTED

eth0 (2)
 port id                8002                    state
forwarding
 designated root        8000.000ea6ce7c0e       path cost                 19
 designated bridge      8000.000ea6ce7c0e       message age timer
0.00
 designated port        8002                    forward delay timer
0.00
 designated cost           0                    hold timer
0.72
 flags

vif1.0 (1)
 port id                8001                    state
forwarding
 designated root        8000.000ea6ce7c0e       path cost                100
 designated bridge      8000.000ea6ce7c0e       message age timer
0.00
 designated port        8001                    forward delay timer
0.00
 designated cost           0                    hold timer
0.72
 flags

And in fact, now DHCP assignement worked, and the guest got his IP during
the install process, we can see my Netscreen DHCP server leases report:

172.20.76.11      00163e7108b4      23 hour 57 minute

So at least layer2 connectivity is working with the outside world, but the
guest can not yet mount the NFS share, nor xen0 can ping the xen-guest
172.20.76.11 newly assigned IP address. Nor can other external boxes ping
the xen-guest, by the way...

IPTABLES is disabled, and its modules unloaded, and SELinux is also
disabled...

Isn't this somewhat wierd?

Thanks...