[Fedora-xen] Gnome desktop in domU? (aka xorg and startx problems in domU)

Raul Saura raul.saura at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 18:16:00 UTC 2006

Denis,

You can not run X on a DomU as the guest has no video hardware available,
but you can do the following:

run "Xvnc :0" on DomU, this will start an X server that uses a pseudo-frame
buffer as video-hardware and serves that framebuffer via vnc protocol.
now run "gnome-session" on DomU to start the whole gnome desktop
infraestructure on the guest OS (as gdm will do)

Now, from dom0 that is the only one with a physical screen attached at,
launch vncviewer and connect to domU-ip-address:0, this will show the remote
virtual desktop.

hope this helps.

Raul.