[Fedora-xen] Network problem during FC5 XEN Guest install

Mark A Heilpern mark at heilpern.com
Sat Apr 8 23:05:03 UTC 2006

After seeing what others with similar problems have posted, I've learned that my problem seems to be with Xen's pethX creation procedure... but I'm not sure how to convince Xen to do things just a little differently.

As a recap, my system has two ethernet devices:
My lan: eth0, 192.168.2.X
The Internet: eth1

When I reboot and Xen has created its various interfaces, I get peth1 as a part of my xenbr0 device. This is a problem though since I need my guest machines to be tied to the lan, not the internet -- but there is no peth0 device to service this. I've tried swapping which card is which eth through mac assignment but this just caused a peth0 to be created (mapping again to my internet ethX device) and no peth1. I also tried swapping which device gets the lan address vs. my external address, and the pethX device being created is consistantly finding my internet device.

How can I change the way pethX is created?