[Fedora-xen] Network problem during FC5 XEN Guest install

Mark A Heilpern mark at heilpern.com
Sun Apr 9 13:01:06 UTC 2006

My problem though is between my eth0 and eth1 real hardware devices, only a single pethX device is being created (by the kernel?)... Generally eth0 is my internal lan, so I need a peth0 device but it's just not there (ifconfig -a shows peth1 but not peth0). If I swap IP configurations between eth0 and eth1, or if I swap MAC bindings, the pethX device that's created is always the one tied to the internet (this is the most frustrating aspect since I can't seem to move around the problem). Thus when eth0 is my internet link and eth1 is my lan, I end up with a peth0 but no peth1.

Is there a way after the fact to cause the kernel to create a new pethX device? I don't mind if I have to build a custom network-bridge script for each guest, but if I can't get a pethX device that corresponds to my lan I can't network to my guests in a reasonable way. Maybe I can abandon use of a bridge and instead spawn a new network for each vethX? That sounds quite a hassle but perhaps it can work. The problem I see then is the IP address of a machine must change to be on a unique network according to the xen id the guest receives.

Thanks for the responses...

Mark