[Fedora-xen] need advices on how to install domU with xenguest-install

Denis Forveille denis.forveille at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 20:44:26 UTC 2006

After reading instructions from from the "FedoraXenQuickstartFC5" doc
and the xen user manual, I'm using the xenguest-install script to
install my domUs. However, I have some questions on how you guys,
perform installations of your domU servers:

This is what I'm doing:
- on dom0, create one lvg per domU (/dev/vg/domU1,/dev/vg/domU2,etc..)
- format the lvg with "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/vg/domU1"
- run xenguest-install, answering  "/dev/vg/domU1" to the "What would
you like to use as the disk (path)" question

The goals is to be able later to mount that lvg and copy files from/to
it (when the associated domU is down of course...) and later to clone it
to create other domUs from it..

Anaconda starts fine, but I always get a message saying that the file
system is not valid and it has to be reinitialised...
Q: Is that normal? "/dev/vg/domU1" IS correct and the fs IS correct
before running xenguest-install (checked by mount/copy/umount..)

Then with diskdruid, I create only one partition in xvda (mount="/",
fs=ext3).
Anaconda gives a warning saying that there is no swap partition defined...
Q: Is there a way to run xenguest-install and specify another lvg for
the swap partition?
Q: What guy do you do? do You define a swap partition? do you initially
not define a swap partition and then, when he domU is installed, modify
the domU configuration file to add another lvg for the swap, start the
domU and configure there the swap partition?
(It would be possible with disk druid to build another structure in the
lvg (with "/boot", "/" and swap partition...) but I'll not be able to
use the lvg from dom0 later, I guess. Remember, i want to be able to
mount the lvg from dom0 when the domU is down)

Then comes grub...
- When anaconda ask for it, how do you configure grub on domU. Do you:
  1) install it on the MBR of first disk (MBR of the disk with is mapped
to the lvg?)
  2) install it in first block of first partition (see remark above..)
  3) don't install it, and after installation of domU. copy the kernel
in /boot of dom0,  update the domU configuration file to set the kernel
and root parameter
  It seems that option 3 is the only one if I want to be able to mount
the lvg from dom0 later...
Q: what guys do you recommend there?

I also tried to install FC5 by booting from the DVD on an lvg directly
(in "/dev/vg/domU1"), but  was not able to start it as a domU...
Installation is OK, I used the existing "/boot" partition when asked for
it (the one used by dom0)and tried to create a domU. My domU started but
I had a lot of problems.. Most of them because I didn't manage to
install FC5 in the lvg with the FC5xenU kernel (I checked all the menus
where packages and selected and dint find any entry to choose the
kernel). The standard kerne lwas installed. I successfully boot the domU
with the xenU kernel (parameter kernel pointing to it in /boot in domu
config file), but in domU there is no corresponding /lib/module dir...
and because of that, thenetwork does not start ..(I stop here..)
Q: is there a way to install FC5 this way (boot from DVD) and force it
to install the FC5xenU kernel instead of the standard FC5 kernel?

MANY MANY thaks for sharing.
(Sorry for the loooonnng post..)