[Fedora-xen] need advices on how to install domU with xenguest-install

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Tue Apr 11 15:41:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 16:44 -0400, Denis Forveille wrote:

> This is what I'm doing:
> - on dom0, create one lvg per domU (/dev/vg/domU1,/dev/vg/domU2,etc..)
> - format the lvg with "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/vg/domU1"

The domU is expecting a *disk* image, including partitioning
information, not just a single filesystem.

> Anaconda starts fine, but I always get a message saying that the file
> system is not valid and it has to be reinitialised...

Right, it can't find the partition table so it creates a fresh one.

> The goals is to be able later to mount that lvg and copy files from/to
> it (when the associated domU is down of course...) and later to clone it
> to create other domUs from it..

You can use "lomount" to mount a single partition from within the disk
image (or manually use losetup or dmsetup to set a mapping to the
partition.)

--Stephen