[Fedora-xen] Running FC4 Guest on FC5

In-Tuition Xen listxenusers at in-tuition.net
Thu Apr 13 17:06:27 UTC 2006

Robert Mortimer scribbled on 13 April 2006 16:21:
>> Robert Mortimer scribbled on 13 April 2006 11:31:
>>> I can set up and run FC5 guests on FC5 but I want to run a FC4 guest
>>> under FC5 to trial zimbra. I have tried the FC4 howto and made a FC4
>>> image but I can't get to boot.
>>>
>>> The new xen config file seems to use a python bootloader and the old
>>> system references a kernel to use.
>>>
>>> Does the boot kernel for the guest have to reside on the host as
>>> well as the guest? Are there docs on the Python boot system?
>>
>> I'm currently doing this.   I've got a couple of FC4 domU's running
>> on a FC5 dom0.  You need the kernel image on the host (dom0) and the
>> guest (domU), and obviously entered in the xen config file.
>>
>> My domU's were actually built on a FC4 dom0 and then transferred
>> across once my FC5 dom0 was built so I don't know if the build
>> process is what's causing your problem.
>>
>> Matt.
>>
> Thanks Matt.
>
> I think I need to move the FC4 kernel image to the host (dom0) and
> then I will
> try the standard FC4 xen config (no pyboot). The new FC5 script is
> good because
> it lets you install live into a virtual machine rather than make an
> image and
> hope that it starts!.
>
> Robert
> PS are your images file based or partitions?

Hi Robert,

I've only been using xen in FC5 for a few days and haven't had time to
play around much so I'm not familiar with the new scripts.  I created my
config files manually and just copied the domU's across along with the
kernel image.

My DomU's are file based because they do little IO and I find them
easier to manage this way.  I did convert one to LVM just to check it
worked, and if I ever need the IO performance I'll take this route.

In case it helps, my domU xen configs look like (I've got two bridged
nics setup):

kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12.6-xen3_12.1_fc4"
memory = 128
name = "xendev"
vcpus = 2
vif = [ 'mac=FE:FD:25:63:74:49,bridge=xenbr0',
        'mac=FE:FD:3D:49:28:26,bridge=xenbr1' ]
disk = ['file:/xenimages/xendev.img,sda1,w']
root = "/dev/sda1"
extra = "ro selinux=0 3"

Matt.