[Fedora-xen] Running FC4 on FC5

Philipp Jäggi philipp.jaggi at snct.lu
Wed Apr 19 06:51:16 UTC 2006

Dear Robert

First of all, I've had the same questions and problems as you have now.
This style of none documentation by the fedora team is just a shame for
the whole open source community! Probably Jeremy Katz is too busy by
meeting his new board members friends, so that he has no more time to
write just a little documentation with explanations, not just a unusable
mini mini howto.

What the big problem is behind the FC5 and Xen implementation is, that the
xen guys at fedora have no idea what SELinux is doing. So, finally they
made an implementation of xen and SELinux that is not usable. If you don't
want to spend two weeks configuring your SELinux, you have to decide, if
you use in future SELinux or Xen (By the way, the same issues you have
with httpd and SELinux).

So my personal proposal is, that you just disable SELinux wherever you
find it on your FC5 installation. After disabling SELinux (you have to
reboot so that everything works fine, => Oh I like this old nice M$ Win95
style of system management) you can use your xen config as you posted in
your mail.

With the xenguest-install.py script you can't install FC4 or another
distribution, because the FC5 guys made an adaptation of the anaconda
system installer. By the way, this is a nice feature, because you can now
kickstart your FC5 installation.

If you want to install a new non FC5 guest, do it in the old style. Create
your devices with LVM and perform a yum groupinstall with
--installdir=yourdevice.

As you can see, Fedora Core 5 is a typical example for bad IT Management.
They tried to do a lot of thing in a short time. So several teams worked
on different things and now, nothing really fits together. The whole
implementation of the SELinux is a disaster. So for professional use, you
have to go back to Fedora Core 4. Also because the oracle stuff is not
working with the new glibc (it's not possible to start the listener...
:-(). I by myself have to use FC5, because I need to kickstart my xen
installation and need apache 2.2. If you don't need those features, use
CentOS or the original RHES.

Hope I gave you the right hints.

bye Philipp

Philipp Jäggi
SNCT Sandweiler
bp 23
L-5230 Sandweiler

+352 35'72'14'342

"Robert Mortimer" <rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk>
Sent by: fedora-xen-bounces at redhat.com
04/18/2006 04:22 PM

<fedora-xen at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
[Fedora-xen] Running FC4 on FC5

I am attempting to run an FC4 image on an FC5 machine
I have prepped the image as per the FC4 quick start
my xen config is as follows

kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4xenU"
memory = 100
name = "vm01"
vcpus = 1
vif= ['mac=FE:FD:25:63:74:49']
disk = [ 'file:/root/VM/fedora.img,sda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/sda1"
extra = "ro selinux=0 3"

All I get is

# xm create vm01
Using config file "vm01".
Error: Error creating domain: (22, 'Invalid argument')
Has anyone got a simple 1 NIC guest config for FC4 on FC5

I see that the new FC5 uses
An init image as part of the boot
A python based boot loader
and a python based install script

Is there any way to hack this lot to do an install like the FC5/FC5 one?
How are the init images built?
Will the new installer do other guest OS's in the future?

Robert