[Fedora-xen] UPS on ttyS0 in dom0

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Mon Aug 21 20:22:41 UTC 2006

Hello All,

This is my first post to the fedora-xen list.  I've been on the
xen-users list for a few months now.

Up until this weekend, I was using xen on a RHEL 4 box to run 3 CentOS 4
domUs.  I'm now running xen on a FC5 dom0.  I had some problems during
the transition, one of which was really odd.  But, I got that fixed now,
so I'm happy - mostly.

My main reason for switching over to FC5 was so that I could use the
separate xen0 and xenU kernels (didn't want to compile my own).  I
needed the separate kernels in order to monitor my UPS, which is
connected to the external serial port (the serial port is disabled in
the xensource kernel RPM).  However, the damn thing still doesn't work -
I'm completely baffled.

Here's my current kernel config for dom0:

title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0 ro root=/dev/vg00/root
xencons=tty
        module /initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0.img

That gives me this crap out:

kernel: WARNING: Failed to register Xen virtual console driver as 'tty1'

Very nice.  I thought that maybe I had to disable tty1 in /etc/inittab,
so I did, but the error remained.  Hoping for the best, I tried
accessing the UPS anyway, and I was handed more turd on a stick:

Sun Aug 20 18:59:33 EDT 2006  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at
line 61
Cannot open UPS port /dev/ttyS0: No such device or address
Sun Aug 20 18:59:33 EDT 2006  apcupsd error shutdown completed

Perfect.  So, I switch xencons=tty to xencons=off, but the result is the
same.  Using console=vga on the xen line didn't help either.

Incidentally, ttyS0 _does_ exist:

[root at xenmaster src]# ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crw------- 1 root root 4, 64 Aug 21 06:05 /dev/ttyS0

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Ranbir