[Fedora-xen] Newbie question regarding Xen traps

Alex Tomic Alex.Tomic at gifts.com
Tue Aug 22 22:14:15 UTC 2006

Hey Rik (reply to list)

I forgot to thank you for this response. I had planned to buy a serial cable
if I had any more instability after upgrading.

After doing the full-blown yum update for my stock FC5_x86_64 boxes (to
kernel 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xen0 and Xen-3.0.2-3), I have had no such crashes
after 13 days. I really wish I had the stack traces so you could at least
identify a fixed bug, but I don't have the luxury of being able to go back
to an old code release and reproduce the problem, at least not now.

If anyone on this list experiences instability when stressing mysql on a
x86_64 VM, especially with a stack that has mask_IO_APIC_irq or
mask_and_ack_level_ioapic_irq in it (not sure exactly what these do), I
would suggest doing an upgrade to the latest Xen on Dom0; I did not upgrade
the guest OSes, they are still on the stock FC5 guest kernel
(2.6.15-1.2054_FC5xenU)

-Alex
Alex Tomic
Database Administrator, Gifts.com