[Fedora-xen] From multi-boot to multi-guest?

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Dec 7 08:31:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:26:45PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Xen is mostly of interest to me so I can do development and testing
> on multiple operating systems without rebooting. I already have
> several /boot and root partitions for several OS setup on my machine.
> I can also boot the Fedora Core 6 xen kernel as dom0, but my experiments
> with the redhat virt-manager tool seem to indicate the only way it can
> create new guests is if I want to install more copies of fedora.
>
> What I'd really like to do is just turn the various /boot and root
> partitions I currently have into guests under Xen. Are there any
> instructions a person starting with absolutely no knowledge of Xen
> can follow to do this?

I haven't used virt-manager (yet) so I don't know if it supports editing the
config file.. or using custom partitions/volumes/files directly.

You need to edit the xen virtual machine (domU) config file, and specify
your selected partitions for the domU. That way domU will only see
the partitions you specified.

Specify different partitions for each domU.

-- Pasi