[Fedora-xen] What's the Pre-requisites for virt-manager

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Dec 12 12:06:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:58:53AM +0800, Henry Zhang wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> From Fedora site
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Virtualization?highlight=%28xenguest-install%29
>
> I find several information, I am sure if they are correct:
>
> 1, "Integrated graphical framebuffer. Both the GUI installer and the
> guest operating system's graphical environment can be accessed from
> virt-manager without the need for VNC."
> As I remembered, you told me when we double-click any DomU, we will
> start a graphic console, this console just use virt-manmager embedded
> vnc-viewer to access DomU, so need vnc connection. Also I know when
> install a guest domain, there also will appear a vnc-viewer for install OS.
> But from the above explanation, seems we never use vnc any more?

What this means is that virt-manager implements the VNC protocol directly
itself, so there is no need for a separate vncviewer program. The VNC
code is all in the src/vncViewer directory.

> 2,"CPU and memory management. The vCPUs and memory of active guest
> operating systems can be adjusted on the fly."
> From your website http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/screenshots.html, I
> can see "Most of this dialog is currently non-functional. Compare with a
> scan of the design mockup" under "Virtual machine configuration", when I
> tried, seems it's true most of them can't work, so who is wrong?

Actually the VCPU & memory adjustment is functional now - within certain
constraints. Paravirt guests can have memory & VCPUs adjusted. Fullyvirt
guests cannot have any adjustments. For guests which are not currently
running (ie inactive), memory, max-memory & VCPUs can be adjusted. Hotplug
of disks & nics is not yet implemented for anything.

Regards,
Dan.