[Fedora-xen] console only on fedora?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Dec 14 01:40:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:04:18PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I just successfully got a paravirtualized openSUSE 10.2 system
> running as a guest under Fedora Core 6 (x86_64 all around).
>
> I did it by installing suse in native mode, then editing
> the /boot/grub/menu.1st file to boot the xen kernel by default,
> then tweaking the config file I had laying around from a
> previous test to define the physical disk partitions the
> same way in the guest as they are in the host.
>
> This all worked (much to my amazement :-), but when I try
> to open the console from virt-manager, it tells me
> "Console not available".

Yes, that means the graphical framebuffer is not available in the guest
kernel. You should still have the traditional text based serial console
(use View -> Serial console menu)

> Is the console implemented by some special kernel module I
> probably don't have in the suse xen kernel? Just trying to
> learn how all this stuff fits together...

The console is an add on patch we wrote for Fedora Core 6, which was not
in upstream Xen 3.0.3 guest kernels / Dom0 userspace. We've been working
to get it incorporated in upstream xen-unstable.hg repository and it was
finally accepted last week.  So unless they've taken the Fedora patch
already, most other distros won't see a graphical guest console until they
update to the Xen 3.0.4 tree for their guest kernels.

Regards,
Dan.