[Fedora-xen] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/hda1

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 11 16:19:57 UTC 2006

Hello, there,
I have been following the howto from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCore5XenQuickstart on Fedora Core
5 Test 2.

in my grub.conf I added init 3, but each time it reboots my machine.
So i followed the rest of the tutorial in init 5.
I have even replace all sda1 by hda1 when applicable since my fdisk -l is

[root at goorah ~]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40060403712 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4870 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *         132        4870    38066017+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2               1         131     1052226   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Otherwise I did (i think) everything.
If I do xm create -c fedora-guest1, It will end each time with:

awk: cmd. line:1: fatal: cannot open file `/proc/mounts' for reading
(No such file or directory)
                Welcome to Fedora Core
                Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Setting clock : Sat Feb 11 11:11:31 EST 2006 [  OK  ]
cat: /proc/cmdline: No such file or directory
mount: mount point /dev/pts does not exist
Setting hostname localhost:  [  OK  ]
raidautorun: unable to autocreate /dev/md0
Checking filesystems
Checking all file systems.
[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/hda1
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining
whether /dev/hda1 is mounted.
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda1
/dev/hda1:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

[FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Press enter for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
(Repair filesystem) 1 # exit
Unmounting file systems
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
umount: cannot find list of filesystems to unmount
Automatic reboot in progress.
Restarting system.

do it have to do with the replacement of sda1 with hda1 ?

by the way
[root at goorah ~]# uname -r
2.6.15-1.51_FC5hypervisor

Chitlesh GOORAH