[Fedora-xen] eth0 not showing up in guest domains

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Feb 22 18:12:14 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 10:43am, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 10:03 -0700, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> > >
> > > The modules are in the actual package, but since you're booting with a
> > > kernel outside the filesystem, it doesn't work so well.  IMHO, the
> > > whole model of booting a kernel from outside of the guest filesystem is
> > > pretty broken as there's a fair bit of userspace which ends up
> > > depending pretty closely on the kernel these days.
> >
> > Which is why I build a client kernel package that has everything but the
> > kernel image itself in it (i.e. the modules).  This gets installed inside
> > the guest environment, satisfying the RPM dependency for other packages.
>
> Why not install the actual kernel package in the guest environment and
> then use pygrub?

I'll have to find out.  There were problems with that for us.  I'm not sure if
it was due to the mix of distros (Gentoo, RHEL3/4, CentOS3/4, SLES9, SUSE
9.x/10.0, FC3/4) or if there were other things, too.

At first, we didn't bother with any kernel modules and such within the guests,
but we found that we did need to have some things (like Netfilter) available
for the guests.

We're trying to maintain only one guest kernel for all distros and one set of
modules for the guests, which is what we have now.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor