[Fedora-xen] FC 5 Xen 3.0.2 Dom0 Network Problem

Adam Kupsta adam at kupsta.com
Fri Jul 21 22:30:37 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some issues with FC5/XEN and network functionality in dom0.

Here's what I did:

- Installed FC5 off the DVD iso available from the Redhat site;  (did a
vanilla server install - no X, added dev tools)

- Setup my eth0 interface.   I can access network / internet no probs.

- I did a 'yum update' to get all latest patches.   Installed, no probs.
(updates current as of 7/21/06)

- I did a 'yum install kernel-xen0' as per the FC XEN HowTo.   Installed
no probs.

Rebooted into the xen0 kernel and I discovered that I can't ping or
access any network outside the system itself.   I can ping the IP I
assigned to eth0 but all other pings are being returned as" ".   This
tells me that there's some sort of routing / firewall issue, however I
have SELINUX and the firewall both disabled in Linux.

I Googled for a solution and ensured that both the IPROUTE and BRIDGING
packages are installed.

Here's something I did find.   If I stop the network-bridge script
(/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge stop) networking returns.   I know I'll
need the bridge interface up for what I need this box to do.

Please help.

Thanks for your assistance,

Adam.