[Fedora-xen] Xen high memory usage/X programs running poorly

Paul Traylor patraylo at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jul 25 16:04:34 UTC 2006

'xm top' shows Dom0 to be using 2846916k of memory (about 90.5 %)
'free -k' shows Dom0 to be using 447192k of memory
'uname -r' shows 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xen0
X programs running over ssh are extremely slow (such as
http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/ and http://xenman.sourceforge.net/)
to the point where they are mostly unusable.  When using the non-xen
kernel, X programs seem to run fine over ssh.

I did a standard install of FC5.  I changed the size of / to 20gb so
that I could create other LV for the domUs.  I installed the basic
webserver package to start off with.  I installed http://webmin.com/ to
make it easier to configure the iptables, and switched ssh to use a
different port.  I then ran 'yum update' and disabled SELinux by editing
/etc/selinux/config and setting SELINUX=disabled.  Lastly, I set
'DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-xen0' in /etc/sysconfig/kernel
and installed the xen kernel with 'yum install kernel-xen0' as directed
by http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC5 and rebooted.

Am I missing something that is causing memory usage to be so high and
causing X programs to run so poorly?

Paul Traylor