[Fedora-xen] Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Re: [Fedora-ia64-list] Re: Four ways RH could helpwith xen-ia64

Aron Griffis aron at hp.com
Wed Jul 26 13:00:19 UTC 2006

Akio Takebe wrote:  [Wed Jul 26 2006, 08:12:38AM EDT]
> Thank you for your reply.
> I'm still a little confused about the way of FC6-xen/IPF contribution.

I'm sorry, I know that it's confusing.  There are multiple ways to
work on the kernel tree.  I'll try to provide some steps below.

> I'd like to make sure the way.
>
> - Background
>
>    we need to try this tree
>    http://hg.et.redhat.com/kernel/linux-2.6-xen-fedora
>    Because #1's tree is not work on xen-ia64.
>    we need to try compile and build the tree
>    with the latest patche of BZ#199684.

That's essentially correct.  The tree above is used to generate the
linux-2.6-xen.patch which is used in the Fedora rpm.  If we make that
tree work with the Fedora ia64 config, and the Fedora xen-ia64 config,
then everything should work well.

Here is another approach, though, which moves us closer to the final
product.  The Fedora kernel cvs tree is available via instructions
from http://people.redhat.com/davej/

I took that tree and imported it to mercurial.  The result is
http://free.linux.hp.com/~agriffis/kernel-cvs/

Next I cloned that tree, added the bugzilla 199684 patch (which
includes your work), plus the minor kernel-2.6.spec modifications and
created another mercurial tree which is
http://free.linux.hp.com/~agriffis/kernel-cvs-ia64/

So the final result is that you can:

    hg clone http://free.linux.hp.com/~agriffis/kernel-cvs-ia64/
    cd kernel-cvs-ia64/devel
    make ia64

This will build an ia64 kernel and attempt to build a xen kernel.
Watch it break, figure it out, contribute to the patch, send back
a diff!

I hope that helps.  Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Aron