[Fedora-xen] Xen install of other than FC5 on FC5 Dom0

Ian Kent ikent at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 12:57:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 12:29 +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 11:40 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
>
> > The other thing that this post begs is the question of how to get an FC4
> > guest running using the standard xenguest-install.py script since there
> > is no simple way to generate the initial ramdisk image needed (of course
> > there is a xenU kernel that could be used in the repo).
>
> Either by manually creating a tree with yum install-groups, or by
> running something like qemu to bootstrap the process.

Actually tried that as well. Qemu network didn't work for me so I gave
up on that as well.

But in any case this is just an experiment to see how things fit
together, hence my possibly silly requirements. The object being "how
easy is it to setup an environment 'identical' to one that my customer
would be using". So that gives the requirement of using a standard
install process.

It's not problem, Xen and the OS integration is not quite up to it yet.
I expect once the integration settles and the development is stable for
a bit longer things will improve.

> > It puzzles me that we haven't we put together a package that has a set
> > of such install pairs for our distributions that have included Xen
> > support? OK, maintenance of such a package in a fast moving development
> > area like this would be a pain.
>
> Right, and FC4 with a non-FC4, xen-compatible kernel is not a
> combination we want to support.  It's sad, but FC4 is simply not
> compatible with current Xen.

Yep.

Ian