[Fedora-xen] guest install with loop backed FC5 dvd iso image

Ron Wahler ron.wahler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:39:36 UTC 2006

I am trying to do a guest install of FC5 on a FC5 machine. Xen is running. I
am having problems
with setting up a proper guest location for the install.

I did a loop back mount of a DVD iso image for FC5, then shared it with NFS
in theory I want to use this to load my guest in xen.

mount -o loop -t iso9660 FC-5-i386-DVD.iso /mnt

then share /mnt on nfs.

xenguest-install.py
What is the name of your virtual machine? guest1
 How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 256
 What would you like to use as the disk (path)? /home/myhome/guest1
 What is the install location? nfs:192.168.1.100:/mnt

is the path here correct or do I need a sub directory of the ISO image for
location ?

here is the debug:

Starting install...
libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: No such domain guest1a
Failed to get devices for domain guest1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/xenguest-install.py", line 460, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/xenguest-install.py", line 451, in main
    start_paravirt_install(name, ram, disk, mac, uuid, src, options.extra)
  File "/usr/sbin/xenguest-install.py", line 331, in start_paravirt_install
    dom = conn.createLinux(cfgxml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 207, in
createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: virDomainCreateLinux() failed

Has anyone seen this problem and know how to work around it.

thanks,
Ron Wahler
http://www.positive-logic.net