[Fedora-xen] Running mixed FC5/FC6 domains

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Sat Jun 24 17:38:55 UTC 2006

Now that FC6T1 is upon us, I'm wondering if it is supported to run an
FC6Tx domU as a guest of an FC5 dom0 host? Or an FC5 domU as a guest of
an FC6 dom0 host? If possible would this require synchronised xen
versions for guest and host domains?

I see using xen as a good way to make upgrades less painful by live
migration of guests between hosts while the hosts are upgraded, and by
splitting functions of a server into multiple guests which can be
tested/upgraded individually.

Allowing mixed domains could ease the "upgrade treadmill" of Fedora, and
reduce the possibility of breaking everything at once during upgrades.

Presumably RHEL5 customers will eventually ask the same questions about
supporting mixed RHEL6 upgrades with xen? Getting this right would give
xen/linux the "no downtime" functionality I recall from performing
rolling upgrades across nodes in VMS clusters years ago.

Thoughts?