[Fedora-xen] Re: Checkpointing

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 30 00:23:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 05:14:11PM -0600, Chris Vaughan wrote:
> So what's the difference between a "Live Migration" & "Save" then?  Does the
> live migration keep the image open and the save does not?  To me they seam
> to be 2 peas in a pod but I guess I'm mistaken.

Live migration ensures that the filesystem is passed as is from one
state to the other. Restoring a checkpointed system would mean that
the system would suddenly warp back in time wrt to the filesystem, or
what is effectively the same from the system's POV the filesystem
suddenly warped ahead in time.

For example: Perhaps your crash between the checkpointing and the
resuming was caused by rm -fr / and no checkpointing could undo that :)

So checkpointing in xen would only work hand in hand with block device
snapshoting.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net