[Fedora-xen] 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5xen0 - no network for guest domains

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Mon Mar 20 21:15:17 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 19:46 +0100, Aleksander Adamowski wrote:

> I'm using xenguest-install.py to install a guest domain on x86_64.
>
> The anaconda installer start up fine, but when I configure the network
> for the guest domain (be it DHCP or static IP), after trying to contact
> installation FTP server, I discover that the guest domain has no network
> connectivity at all - it cannot resolve the FTP server's hostname, or
> connect to it directly by its IP address; I cannot ping from other hosts
> or from dom0 to the guest domain.

Works fine for me on x86_64, so it's not arch-specific.

Hmm --- do you have a strong firewall enabled on the dom0 that might be
getting in the way?

> The physical network controller is a Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme
> BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet using the tg3 driver.
>
> The virtual network devices are created by Xen on domain 0:

This does not look at *all* like a normal xen networking config:

> # ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:15:60:0B:ED:88
>           Interrupt:17

this implies that eth0 is a physical device;

> eth0:0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:15:60:0B:ED:88
>           inet addr:192.168.254.4  Bcast:192.168.254.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           Interrupt:17

with an alias;

> vif1.0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

and then there's a vif1.0, which I assume is the one belonging to the
domU guest's back-end driver in dom0.  And finally you've got

> xenbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

the bridge to bind them all together.

With xen, normally you have no physical eth0: eth0 is a virtual loopback
net device, the other end of which is bound to vif0.0; the original
physical eth0 is renamed to peth0; and vif0.0 and peth0 are bridged
together on xenbr0.  So once I start a domU guest in such an
environment, bridging shows:

# brctl show
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              peth0
                                                        vif0.0
                                                        vif1.0

Your environment has no virtual eth0, no renamed physical peth0 and no
loopback vif0.0; it doesn't look like any of the dom0 bits that xen
tries to set up have been initialised.  What sort of network config did
you have set up before starting xend?  What does "brctl show" show?

--Stephen