[Fedora-xen] Best Practice for backing up running Virtual Machines

Christian Reiter c.reiter at gmx.net
Wed May 3 22:21:06 UTC 2006

Hello Kwan!

Kwan Lowe schrieb:
> With LVMs you can do snapshot backups pretty easily. If you have databases running
> you should shut them down first, or at least use a method that retains the database
> consistency. Even a snapshot won't capture changes unless they're written to disk.
> I'm surprised that you didn't get any filesystem errors after copying the
> file-backed domU....

I think i will use a combination of traditional backup within my domU
for the absolutely important files,
e.g. /etc, databases and other data.
In Addition i will take an LVM Snapshot or something similar.
I've read (xensource mailinglists) that LVM Snapshots aren't ready for
production use at this time.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,  ///  Kind Regards,
                                                 Christian Reiter

Christian Reiter	|||	c.reiter at gmx.net