[Fedora-xen] xenguest-install.py issues

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at gmail.com
Sun May 14 20:05:26 UTC 2006

On 5/14/06, Ashe Canvar <acanvar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am following the FC5 Xen install page. However my xenU installs do
> not seem to work using the python script. What am I doing wrong ?
>
> [root at medusa1 ~]# NM=m1b; export NM; /usr/sbin/xenguest-install.py  -n
> $NM -f /vmd/$NM/$NM.disk -s 5.1 -r 256   -l nfs:10.1.55.40:/mnt
>

> Starting install...
> Using config file "/etc/xen/m1b".
> Error: Error creating domain: Kernel image does not exist:
> /var/lib/xen/vmlinuz.oZFOHc
> If your install has exited, you can restart your guest by running
> 'xm create -c m1b'.  Otherwise, you can reconnect to the console
> by running 'xm console m1b'
> [root at medusa1 ~]# xm create -c m1b
> Using config file "/etc/xen/m1b".
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 256, in ?
>     cf = get_config(file, isconfig)
>   File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 139, in get_config
>     raise RuntimeError, "Unable to read filesystem"
> RuntimeError: Unable to read filesystem
> Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!
> [root at medusa1 ~]#
>

> [root at medusa1 ~]# uname -a
> Linux medusa1 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5xen0 #1 SMP Tue Mar 28 04:13:51 EST
> 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [root at medusa1 ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i xen
> xen-3.0.1-4
> kernel-xen0-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5

I've noticed very similar problems and I suspect a bug in the xenguest
install python script.  What helped me along was rolling back to an older
version of the dom0 kernel and running the xenguest install script
interactively.  Once I did that, the process installed the domU kernel's
correctly and just worked.  Lots of activity on this front on Bugzilla so
please record your specifics there in an existing bug or open a new one to
track your issue.

Thanks.

-D