[Fedora-xen] Best Practice for backing up running Virtual Machines

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue May 16 19:15:22 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 12:59pm, Christian Reiter wrote:
> Lamont R. Peterson schrieb:
> > Convert to using LVM; then it'll be easy.
> > LVM is a much better choice.  Not just for backups, but it also makes it
> > easier to manage your storage.
>
> But bear in mind that LVM-Snapshots aren't considered reliable at this
> time.

Where do you get that idea?  What do you mean by, "aren't considered
reliable"?

You didn't think I meant to take a snapshot and call it a day, did you?  No,
absolutely not.  You create a snapshot volume then mount that and back up the
read only data in it.  The goal is to get a backup you can restore from.

You didn't think I was talking about using writable snapshots with LVM for
basing multiple Xen VMs on, did you?  Well, sorry for the confusion it that's
the case.  I was talking about read-only LVM snapshot LVs for doing backups.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor