[Fedora-xen] FC5/Xen LVM resize question

Heinz Deinhart heinz at nix.at
Tue May 16 19:48:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, David Robinson wrote:

>> im playing around with Xen and FC5. There is one thing i dont get working.
>> When i resize a logical volume in dom0 with lvextend, and this volume is
>> used and mounted in a domU, it seems that the domU does not notice the new
>> size of the partition until rebooted. ext2online does nothing, fdisk
>> reports the old size.
>
> the kernel wouldn't be aware of the size change hence why fdisk reports the
> old size. try running "partprobe" - it basically tells the kernel to reread
> the partition table

I tried this, but partprobe does not seem to work.

But should it? In my testcase there are no partition tables at all. I
export a lvm volume as partition:
   lvcreate -L1g vg0 part1
   xm block-attach fc5dom phy:vg0/part1 /dev/hdp rw
Then, inside of the domU, i do:
   mount /dev/hdp /mnt/tmp

So, if i don't miss anything, then there is no partition table that
can be reloaded.

But then, i tried to create a partition table and mount e.g. hdp1 and
it did not work either. Even after calling partprobe, i was not able
to grow the filesystem and fdisk reports the old size.

In all cases everything works after rebooting the domU, so i know that
i did not fail doing the lvextend. Is there anything else i can try?

Can it be that using LVM volumes and growing them on the fly for domUs
is not supported, or could it be a bug?

Thanks a lot,
Heinz

--