[Fedora-xen] VBS running out of loopbacks

Jon Stone jblsoundz04 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 17:18:26 UTC 2006

Through some searching it appears that we are limited to 8 loopbacks
/dev/loop[0-7] on a default FC5 install.  This was noted when we started
getting no backend can be found errors when trying to load a 9th VBS based
guest.

Is adding a basic option to /etc/modprobe.conf and rebooting the system the
safest way to unload everything and get the loop module reloaded to support
additional loopback devices?

Or should we explore additional solutions?

Right now the server's drive is one logical group with one logical volume
taking up 100% of the disk.  I do not want to engage any file system
resizing and lvm resizing as this is a production environment.

Thoughts on this are appreciated.