[Fedora-xen] DomU problems with LVM

Gawain Lynch gawain.lynch at bigpond.com
Tue May 30 08:51:40 UTC 2006

After a lot of testing and fun I have freed a box for production Xen
installs.  When I try to install Xen onto an LV things go quite wrong.
If I create and mount an LV and install Xen into a file backing then all
works fine.

The process I am using goes like this...

Create an LV:
    # lvcreate -L 2G vgxen -n myxen

Install FC5:
    # xenguest-install.py --name=myxen \
        --file=/dev/vgxen/myxen \
        --ram=256 \
        --location=http://install/5/i386/

I preform a minimal install and it finishes without errors, the only
thing I customise is the name of the volume group (VolGroup00 => vg00)
and the logical volumes (LogVol00 => lv00 etc), I'm not a fan of the
StudlyCaps default  :-)

The I start the instance

    # xm create -c myxen

Only to be confronted with this:
    Setting up Logical Volume Management:   2 logical volume(s)
    in volume group "vg00" now active
    [  OK  ]
    Checking filesystems
    Checking all file systems.
    [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/vg00/lv00
    /dev/vg00/lv00: clean, 19347/418080 files, 126997/417792 blocks
    [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /boot] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/xvda1
    Error reading block 32 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
    resulted in short read).

    /boot: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
            (i.e., without -a or -p options)

Trying to fsck the /boot filesystem gives the following errors:
    Error reading block 32 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
    resulted in short read).  Ignore error<y>?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong or what I am doing wrong?

Take care,

Gawain