[Fedora-xen] Upgrade FC5 Xen -> FC6

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Nov 2 00:30:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 15:18 -0500, Tony Coffman wrote:
> Has anybody already done any writeups on the process to get a FC5 Xen0
> moved to FC6?
>
> I've been running a semi-production Fedora+Xen rig since FC4.  The last
> transition (FC4/Xen2 - FC5/Xen3pre) was pretty much a PITA and this next
> step seems to be more of the same so I'd like to help out by documenting
> it as I run through it.

If you don't have anything running in dom0, shouldn't it be fairly
straight forward?  Assuming that you're using LVM for your domU(s):

1. Backup domU(s)
2. Backup domO
3. Install FC6 (leave domU(s) alone)
4. Boo with xen kernel
5. Edit domU configs so that "kernel" and "ramdisk" point to the new
kernel.
6. Boot domU(s)

My domO used to be a RHEL 4 box running the xen packages from xensource.
I converted it to a FC5 box earlier this year.  It was painless.  The
domUs came up right away.

Of course, my setup is fairly simple.  Right now, I have three domUs,
and one bridge.

I'd be interested in hearing exactly what problems you had when you made
the switch from FC4 to FC5.

Regards,

Ranbir

--