[Fedora-xen] Re:FC6+xen guest boot issue

Alex Barger cruzinthegalaxie at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 12:49:25 UTC 2006

Karl,

I was in the same spot you are in a couple of days ago. The problem you
mention is because you don't have an initrd to tell the kernel what to mount
after the kernel boots up.

The trick I found is when you make the initrd to use these extra options
#  mkinitrd --with=xennet --preload=xenblk /boot/$KERNEL-$DOMNAME.img
$KERNEL

I found these instructions to work out pretty well for building an image (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstart#head-d8c5e7b0f9f95e248fbcb12e26f2e9c3b33f3dbc),
except the writer does not use initrd. I don't understand how that works.
But I followed the instructions and made an initrd and copied it to my host
/boot and then put this line in the xen user config file and it worked for
me:

ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xenU.img"

Since you dont have an internet connection, you could copy the files from
the RH7.3 cd's to your drive and then start apache on your local computer. I
don't know if 7.3 works with yum, it has been ages since I used that
version. You could then make your own yum conf with
$HOSTIP  = the ip address of your host computer

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exclude=*-debuginfo
gpgcheck=0
obsoletes=1
reposdir=/dev/null

[base]
name=Fedora Core 4 - $basearch - Base
mirrorlist=http://$HOSTIP/mirrors
enabled=1

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core 4 - $basearch - Released Updates
mirrorlist=http://$HOSTIP/mirrors
enabled=1

Then make a file called mirrors and in it, something like

http://$HOSTIP/RH7.3/

Then install like that doc describes....

yum -c http://$HOSTIP/yum-xen.conf --installroot=/mnt -y groupinstall Base

A few questions
What do you have in your /xen/test.img? Is something preloaded there?
Why RH 7.3? Or should I not ask.

If that doesn't work out for you. I am working on doing a normal install to
a Qemu image and then converting the image to a xen bootable image. After I
work that out, you might be able do the same with RH7.3

-Alex B
Disclaimer: If anything I say is wrong, it is only my interpretation of the
information I had at the time.