Me too - Re: [Fedora-xen] dissapearing guests

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Nov 10 14:01:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:54:27AM -0500, Rodger Haynes wrote:
> I am experiencing the same problem on a new Dell Optiplex GX520. I'm new
> at this as well.
>
> Paul O'rorke wrote:
> >maybe I've missed something but if I reboot or shutdown a guest domain
> >I can't start it again.  xm --list doesn't show the domain.  From the
> >Virtual Machine Manager (FC6) if I go :  File --> Restore saved
> >machine  (Restore a saved machine from a filesystem image) and pint to
> >/vm/webserver I get a dialogue box stating:
> >
> >    *Error restoring domain '/vm/webserver'.  Is the domain already
> >    running?*
> >

> >Similary if I try to restore from the disk file with xm restore I get
> >the following:
> >
> >    *# xm restore /vm/webserver*
> >    *Error: Restore failed*
> >    *Usage: xm restore <CheckpointFile>*
> >
> >    *Restore a domain from a saved state.*
> >

> >I'm guessing that the disk file is not the correct file to restore
> >from   -  <CheckpointFile>?? but I can't find anywhere documentation
> >on how to open these machines.

No, the 'restore' functionality is for re-activating a suspended VM
that has previously been saved out to disk with 'save'. Think of it
as equivalent of 'hibernate to disk' on your laptop.

If you shutdown/reboot the domain then 'restore' is not what you want
instead you want 'create' which is equivalent of cold boot on a laptop.
eg, 'xm create <name>'.

Unfortunately once you shutdown a domain, XenD looses all knowledge of
it - that's why 'xm list' didn't show it, and virt-manager can't see
it. Rest assured the domain is stilon disk - the config file is kept
in /etc/xen. If you use 'xm create' then it loads the config file into
XenD and boots the domain.

We're actively working on getting support for inactivate domains into
virt-manager which will help resolve the confusion in this area.

Regards,
Dan.