[Fedora-xen] Win Xp 32 bit as guest in

David Parsley parsley at linuxjedi.org
Mon Nov 13 11:58:09 UTC 2006

Hi Denis,

On 11/12/06, Denis Forveille <denis.forveille at gmail.com> wrote:
> Q:
> - is it possible to run an instance of Win XP SP2 32bits as a guest on a
> x86_64 FC6 fully updated dom0? (CPU = AMD x2 4600 with pacifica...)
>
> I successfully installed Win XP in an lvm logical volume. Everything
> worked fine and at the end, I got the request from XP asking to remove
> the CD and reboot...
> Then, when I try to start the guest (after changing the line from boot=d
> to boot=c in the config file), the only thing I see is a black screen.
> (the windows resize itself and then a black screen...)
> "xm top" shows that the guest consumes 0% CPU...
> I think I've tried almost every combination of parameters in the config
> files (pae, acpi,sdl...) during installation and after...
> Also, I've seen that others have post similar problems in this forum,
> but none of them have answers/workarounds to my problem.
>
> Does anyone succeeded in running such a combination (ie XP SP2 32 bits
> in a 64bit FC6)?
> Or maybe the problems comes from the fcat that I installed windows in an
> lvm instead of in a file?
> Thx in advance

I had this problem, too - the solution was re-installing WinXP, and,
when the installer asks you to press 'F6' for addtional drivers, press
'F5' instead.  Then select 'Standard PC ...'

My XP VM runs in either FC6 32 or FC6 64, pretty well.  Hopefully
future versions of Xen won't require this workaround.

Regards,
David
--
David L. Parsley
Linux Systems Engineer, James Madison University