[Fedora-xen] virt-manager gives "The console is currently unavailable" in FC6

Robert Thiem junk at remcc.org
Wed Nov 15 01:23:20 UTC 2006

When first setting up FC6 I had an issue where I could start an FC6 Xen
guest install but couldn't connect with VNC.

I don't know if it's the same (I can't remember the exact messages I was
getting), but it ended up being that "localhost" wouldn't resolve to an
IPv4 address. This was due to a nasty combination of anaconda putting IPv4
and v6 entries in /etc/hosts and system-config-network trimming the
"extra" v4 entry when run.

Anyway I'd suggest:
- Check that you can ping localhost
- Check there's a localhost entry in /etc/hosts associated with 127.0.0.1
(and not with ::1)
- Run "netstat -antp" to see what ports programs are listening on

Regards,
Robert Thiem