[Fedora-xen] Probems installiing windows under xen in FC6

Robert Thiem junk at remcc.org
Mon Nov 20 08:29:24 UTC 2006

> May I ask - is your disk is a SATA disk on non-SATA? (this is for the
> disk = [ 'file:/extra/xen/hvm.img,hda,w', line, which in my case is
> disk = [ 'file:/var/lib/xen/windisk.img,ioemu:sda,w' ]).

My disk is a SATA, but I don't think that matters much as I'm just using a
file based disk device. I think that second tag tells the HW emulation
layer what to present the device as to the guest operating system, so you
should be able to present the disk image file as SDA if you like but it
would only affect what sort of drivers windows uses to talk to the
emulation layer.

They may have to match if you're presenting the guest with real partitions
(which gives better performance), not sure.

If you're wanting to point it at a real CD-ROM you put in something like
 'phy:/dev/cdrom,hdc:cdrom,r' instead of the iso.

> And :
> Did you succeed in installing windows with this config file ?
> Did you succeed in running windows under Xen ?

Yes, seems to work fine.

Good luck,
Robert