[Fedora-xen] Cannot create files or dirs even as root on FC6 xen system

Tan Chee Sin tancs at comp.nus.edu.sg
Wed Nov 22 01:51:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've installed a FC6 xen guest system and there is a /misc folder which
I want to create files and directories. I get a permission denied when I
try to do so even when I am root.

# pwd
/misc
# mkdir test

mkdir: cannot create directory `test': Permission denied

When I do a directoy listing on /, misc is 0 bytes.

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     0 Nov 21 13:24 misc

I have listed the disk space usage and the fstab below.
# df -k
/dev/xvda1            11904588   1830176   9459928  17% /
tmpfs                   768000         0    768000   0% /dev/shm
/dev/xvda3             5431008    171288   4979388   4% /var

# cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=SWAP-xvda2        swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

I'm not sure if this issue happens only on FC6 xen but I am able to
create files and directories on a FC5 xen system.

cheesin