[Fedora-xen] 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen and Realtek

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Nov 23 05:23:45 UTC 2006

When upgrading to 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen on my dom0, I ended up with a
broken ethernet setup because the 8139cp module failed to drive the
card.

modprobe.conf contained:

alias dev1804289383 8139too
alias eth1 e1000

I dont remember if I put that in a long long long time ago, or wether it
magically got put in there on install. But I had an eth0 and an eth1, of
which eth1 was not in use.

Changing dev1804289383 to eth0 did not help.
I did not really care, so I just switched the cable to the other ethernet port.
My dom0 had connectivity, but all connectivity on my xenu's was broken. I think
this has to do with the bridge setup. Rebooting did not help either. So I
think that apart from the kernel bug in the 8139cp driver, the fedora bridge
setup for xen might assume eth0 exists, or won't look further if eth0 is not
found?

I did not pursue this bug further to actually find out what happens exactly,
since I don't have time for that now. I did want to report it, in case someone
else runs into the same issue. At least google will find this entry then.

Paul