[Fedora-xen] RHEL4 inside FC5/FC6 Dom0?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 28 15:31:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 08:41:13AM +0100, Thorsten Scherf wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.11.2006, 17:06 +0100 schrieb Monolive:
> > Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > > Hiya,
> > >
> > > I'd like to install RHEL4 inside a FC5 or FC6 Dom0 to do some Squid development
> > > and regression testing on. Has anyone done this? Any pointers to what I should be
> > > looking at doing?
>
> [...]
>
> > You will find some good documentation @
> > http://people.redhat.com/~riel/RHEL4-Xen-HOWTO
> >
> > If you do not have a processor with the VT extension, you can always use
> > qemu to install RHEL4 in FV.
>
> AFAIK, it's no longer possible to use a FV RHEL4 image which has been
> created with the latest version of QEMU. Reason is, that QEMU now uses
> Copy-on-Write disk images.

Well, QEMU doesn't use any particular type of image by default - that's
entirely up to whomever creates the disk image. QEMU has about 6 different
kinds of images it is able to use.

You can trivially convert between disk image formats using QEMU's own tool
set, eg

  qemu-img convert -f qcow source.img  -O raw dest.img

will convert from 'qcow' format to 'raw' - the latter being the format Xen
wants.

Dan.