[Fedora-xen] What are the minimal required FC6 packages for Dom0?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sat Oct 7 20:43:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 10:25:32PM +0200, Aryanto Rachmad wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am going to try to split the services on my server (IBM xSeries 330, dual 1GHz Intel
> processors and 4GB RAM) into 3 or 4 VMs using Xen on FC6. So I plan to move all the
> packages to those virtual machines based on their services. What are the minimal required
> packages to run Xen on FC6?

If you install the 'xen' RPM the dependancies will ensure that the minimal
set of required packages are pulled in. Anything else is really just upto
you & what kind of management tools  you require in Dom0.

> As my server does not Intel-VT support so I suppose I can not have fully-virtualised
> guests. What is actually the advantage of this feature?

Fully-virt just lets you run unmodified operating systems (notably Windows,
or older versions of Linux for which there is no Xen kernel available).
If you only care about running modern Xen enabled Linux  kernels then
you have on need for fully-virt. As a general rule, if there is a paravirt
version of your desired OS available, using that will always be preferrable
to fullyvirt. The network & disk I/O is much faster in paravirt, and since
the kernel is informed when the hypervisor re-schedules it, it can do much
more accurate process accounting in the guest. It is basically impossible
to do accurate process scheduling in fully-virt, since the guest kernel
has no knowledge of the fact that its running under a hypervisor.

Regards,
Dan.