[Fedora-xen] Re: several messages

Matt Bernstein +systems.extlists.fedora-xen at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Oct 23 16:37:10 UTC 2006

On Oct 18 Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 11:19:21AM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>> [root at hyperion ~]# cat /proc/version
>> Linux version 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5xen0
>> (brewbuilder at hs20-bc2-3.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red
>> Hat 4.1.1-1)) #1 SMP Sat Oct 14 17:49:47 EDT 2006
>> [root at hyperion ~]# getenforce
>> Permissive
>> [root at hyperion ~]# xm list
>> Error: Error connecting to xend: No such file or directory.  Is xend
>> running?
>> [root at hyperion ~]# /etc/init.d/xend status
>> xend is running
>>
>> Reverting to 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xen0 fixes this problem.
>
> We had a little snafu when pushing out the updates. The 2.6.18 kernel
> which was pushed out includes Xen 3.0.3 APIs, but we forgot to push
> the corresponding userspace bits (xen & libvirt RPMs). Because upstream
> Xen developers saw fit to break ABI compatability for Dom0 control APIs
> in 3.0.3 the older bits don't work :-(
>
> We've got the neccessary updates in  the 'updates-testing' repository
> as of a few hours ago, so if you want to try them out use:
>
>  yum --enablerepo=updates-testing install xen libvirt

I'm sorry I was too busy to test these until they made "updates" proper.

However, having upgraded now to the new xen and libvirt packages, it still
doesn't work, and reverting to 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xen0 does _not_ fix the
problem. I now have a machine which can't boot any of its slices.

I will test more xen and libvirt packages if they can be made available.
I've got about 24 hours before I'll need to chicken out and either find
the old packages on a stale mirror somewhere, or restore from tape.

Matt