[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen0-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 amusingly unhappy

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun Oct 29 02:23:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > > Glad to know you've figured it out. Please let us know when there is something
> > > in updates-testing we can try! Thanks!
> >
> > It'll take me a little while to get a formal build made & pushed through the
> > errata process, because I need to do some further testing before committing
> > it to Fedora CVS. So if anyone is interested in testing in the meantime, I've
> > put my unofficial prototype build up here http://people.redhat.com/berrange/xen/
> > I'll remove RPMs once the formal build is in updates-testing.
>
> Works for me - both on a FC5 machine thats been upgraded over time and on a
> freshly-installed FC5 that's been upgraded just once. I'm running a slightly
> modified config on one to support >1 vlan and physical interface; I've also
> disabled the Xen TCP services and stuck to the UNIX services.

I spoke too soon: Now I'm seeing lots of these:

4gb seg fixup, process named (pid 1266), cs:ip 73:00561378
printk: 484562 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process poller.php (pid 1663), cs:ip 73:00540b0b
printk: 1448 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process syslogd (pid 1235), cs:ip 73:00b0e81a

I'm running Ubuntu/Debian in some of my test Xen DomU's. This has apparently been
fixed in 'etch' (with a "xen-aware" libc6) but why did this change between
revision 2187 and revision 2200 of the xen kernels?

I can't go around and upgrade all of these machines running older OSes and I can't
stick with the older kernels for (possible) security reasons.

Adrian