[Fedora-xen] source for building kernel-xen0 ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 17:38:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:30:21AM -0700, Huei-Ping Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie here, and I have installed fedora core 5, xen, xen0, xenU on
> my thinkpad laptop, follows the quick start guide, I can bring up guest
> xenU, everything works fine, including networking.
>
> now I want to learn more about xen, and want to build everything from
> scartch,
> there are some rpm comes with fedora 5, like some kernel-xen-devel package,
> but it only include the headers file, no C codes at all,
>
> so I googled though every where, but I could ot find the source RPM for that,
> the only xen source I can find is xen-3.o.???.src.rpm, which builds kernel
> ends with "xen", not "xen0",
>
> so I am wondering where do I find the source or building xen0 ? or, I should
> just use the "xen-3.o.???.src.rpm" ?

In Fedora land, all kernels, baremetal, Dom0 and DomU are built from a
single master source RPM. The latest errata for FC5 is

http://download.fedora.devel.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.src.rpm

The 'xen' SRPM that you see is just used to build & package the corresponding
userspace bits.

Bear in mind that if you're modifying stuff make absolutely sure you use
matched versions of the kernel & userland bits. For FC5 the latest userland
SRPM for Xen is

http://download.fedora.devel.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/SRPMS/xen-3.0.2-3.FC5.src.rpm

Regards
Dan.