[Fedora-xen] FC5 -- with new "development" Xen kernels/xend

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 21 15:07:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 10:58:45AM -0400, Russell McOrmond wrote:

>   Just for kicks I tried the kernel-xen, xen and dependencies from the
> 'development' yum repository.  When trying to create the XenU's it gave
> me a "Error: (22, 'Invalid argument')".

This (utterly useless[1]) error message usually indicates that the guest
kernel you are trying to boot is incompatible with your hypervisor.
ie, you tried to boot a baremetal kernel as a guest, or in this case
you tried to boot a PAE enabled kernel on a non-PAE hypervisor.

>   Does anyone know which Fedora kernels to be putting in the XenU's if
> I'm wanting to use the new "development" xen and kernel-xen?

If its called 'kernel-xen' then its PAE enabled, if its called kernel-xenU
then its non PAE enabled.

So you must either use kernel-xen for both host & guest, or use kernel-xen0
and kernel-xenU. You can't mix use of kernel-xen with kernel-xenU

Regards,
Dan.

[1] I'm working on patches to upstream Xen tools to give sensible error
    reporting instead of the current method which just returns -EINVAL
    everywhere :-(