[Fedora-xen] "Import Error:No module named libvirt" while running xenguest-install.py in Fc5 x86 mode

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Sep 27 07:50:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 03:31:03PM -0700, shobha ranganathan wrote:
> I download xen3.0.2-23.src.rpm and build the dom0 Kernel in Fedora COre 5 in x86 mode. I did not build a domU kernel at all.
>   I tried to run ./xenguest-install.py in dom0 kernel after booting into it.. I got this error
>   "No module named libvirt".
>
>   I then tried installing libvirt-0.0.6-1.i386.rpm using
>   "rpm --install libvirt-0.0.6-1.i386.rpm"
>
>   I get failed dependencies error such as
>   "libxenstore.so is needed by libvirt-0.0.6-1.i386
>   xen is needed by libvirt-0.0.6-1.i386"
>
>   what am I missing here ? I have libxenstore.so in /usr/lib.
>   Commands like "xm list" works in dom0 kernel

  There is a set of tightly interconnected packages that are needed. You cannot
just upgrade one of them, especially the xen RPM. The set of source RPMs
are kernel (-xen), xen, libvirt, python-xeninst (and virt-manager) . Don't try
to upgrade one without upgrading the others. The RPM dependancies are here to
express the tight coupling between those packages, don't try to --force or
--nodeps you're nearly garanteed to have a not running Xen setup if you do.
The best is to upgrade to FC6 test3 if you want to try a recent version, and
to FC6 final when it's out.

Daniel