[Fedora-xen] Migrating An OS Installation from a Physical Machine to a Xen Paravirtual Guest

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Apr 3 01:28:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007, Graham Jenkins wrote:
> It has been said that it's possible to do the above. Does anybody have
> details of how one might go about it?  It's easy enough to create, then
> extract from .. tar images.
>
> But I can't figure how to do the grub stuff.  Suggestions?

Do you need to use py-grub?

All my migrations worked fine - move the entire OS into an LVM, install the
Xenified kernel inside the VM and in dom0 so the kernel can boot from dom0
and the modules can load inside domU; install Xen-happy libraries so you
don't get hit by the massive amounts of logging the Redhat/fedora kernels do
when dealing with fixing up segment hacks.

I haven't had (yet) to use py-grub.

Adrian