[Fedora-xen] netloop

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 23:18:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 01:52:46PM -0700, Curtis Doty wrote:
> Am I going about this wrong? It's quite trivial to deadlock the Fedora
> kernel.
>
> # modprobe netloop ; rmmod netloop
> unregister_netdevice: waiting for veth3 to become free. Usage count = 1
> unregister_netdevice: waiting for veth3 to become free. Usage count = 1
> unregister_netdevice: waiting for veth3 to become free. Usage count = 1
>
> This is without doing anything else with xend or the other modules. So
> why/who/what grabbed a hold of that veth?

This is basically a limitation of the netloop module - its not written to
allow its removal once loaded. Fortunately we don't need to worry about
fixing this, because in the very near future we will be blasting netloop
into oblivion :-)  This will make networking in Dom0 much simpler because
you won't have this crazy set of extra devices for Dom0 - just the real
eth*, the bridge device & any VIFs for guest VMs.

Regards,
Dan.